Once you have downloaded the software from www.oracle.com/downloads, following steps can be used to install the software.
1. Unzip the dump downloaded from oracle.com
2. Once Unzipped, click on setup.exe to run Oracle Universal Installer Program. This will open a window as shown below.
3. After few seconds, this will open up Oracle Universal Installer screen.
4. Enter the password as desired and click next. If required you can change the database name, by default its 'orcl'.
Installer performs few tests checking the system stability, just have to wait till then.
5. Check the report, it says failed. Looking at it closely since the system on which the database was installed was not on network. This is not mandatory. You can click and proceed further.
6. Once the checks are done click next which will take you to summary screen, you can browse through the products which will be installed along with your database. Check for SQL*Plus client.
7. After Review, click on install to install the database along with the products listed in the summary page.
8. Sit back and relax till the time dabase gets installed. Following screen changes occur during the installation process.
9. Once the Installation is complete, it gives some basic information about the database installed and the URL for EM -- Enterprise Manager. Click OK to proceed to next screen.
10. If you reach this screen then it means that you have been successfull in installing the database. Just Click on exit and start using your database.
To open SQL Plus use the following Navigation,
Go to --> Start --> Programs --> Oracle - OraDb10g_home2 --> Application Development --> SQL Plus
11. First time you try to login as scott/tiger, it would throw an error as shown below,
To get rid of this error, login as SYSTEM for password use the password that was speficied during step3 of this installation process.
Once logged in, use the sql statement below to unlock scott user.
Once this is done, login as scott tiger and it should work. It might as to change the old password with a new one, In this case use "tiger" as old password.